Total Pageviews

Friday, November 30, 2007

Rachel Nevada (Extraterrestrial Highway)












Nevada State Highway 375 stretches for 98 miles from US-93 in the southeast to US-6 in the northwest. It crosses three large high desert valleys in south central Nevada: Tikaboo Valley, Sand Spring Valley and Railroad Valley. Except for a couple of ranches, the town of Rachel is the only settlement along the way.

In April 1996 Nevada State Highway 375 was officially named the Extraterrestrial Highway for the many UFO sightings along this lonely stretch of road. The highway is close to the mysterious Area 51 a super-secret Air Force test facility, and in the 1980's and 1990's there have been many sightings of unidentified objects near the base. Even today visitors and locals alike often see strange lights in the night-sky while driving down the highway.

Well you may or may not of heard of Rachel Nevada before, but if your into UFO's you will know about it. And if you don't know this about myself and hubby, we love to travel in our motor home and love to park in remote places. So one of the places we stopped was here, so thought i would share some photos and a bit of information about Rachel.

In its heyday Rachel had over 500 residents, mostly working for Union Carbide in the Tempiute tungsten mine. When the mine closed in 1988 the workers moved on, and today the population is down to less than 100. Most of the people living in Rachel are retired, work at the alfalfa farms or in one of the three local businesses. A few people work at the Tonopah Test Range (TTR) or in Area 51, but of course those who really do can not talk about it.

Ever since the late 1980's Rachel has been a popular destination among UFO fans, attracted by the nearby Area 51, and by hundreds of UFO sightings in the area. Rachel has been dubbed the "UFO Capital of the World", and people from all around the world come to visit Rachel and the Little A'Le'Inn, and to get information to plan their personal expedition to that mysterious base in the desert.Well this was about all there was to the town. We didn't even stop in the store or the restaurant, we just moved on back to were we ended up spending the night in this remote area off the road. One of the joys of traveling in a Motor home with all its conveniences
And this is what we watched before going to bed, Did we see any UFO's? Nope sure was looking tho.
Have you ever seen a UFO?

12 comments:

dot said...

I have not ever seen a UFO or anything else that couldn't be explained. Our ex governor and president Jimmy Carter has tho.
Enjoyed the pictures. You have seen such wonderful sights.

Tom said...

I've seen many strange things in the Sky for sure... but then again I look. It's no good waiting for something to happen is it. On a nice warm clear night or a cold one if we are wrapped up warm Jane and I will Sky Watch... the fun is just doing it. Shooting stars still thrill me... saterlites are all over the skies.. Apart from strange lights in the sky.. we have seen Strang patches of blackness pass in front of the stars... now that is weird.

duopastorale said...

Are you sure? I think I see one there.

Nessa said...

I've seen some lights that acted quite strange a couple of times.

Shammickite said...

I was reading your post and when I came to the end, I was quite disappointed that you didn't see a UFO. I think you had better stay awake all night next time you visit Rachel.

Andrea said...

Nope, never saw an UFO. Interesting post though.

Rune Eide said...

I have never seen an UFO (or ever expect to). I haven't even seen "Nessie" after two trips to Loch Ness. And I have a taste for Scotch...

But seriously - your post taught me a great deal about Nevada. I enjoyed that very much.

Ginnie Hart said...

What's so funny about this, Lilli, is that during some of my late night drives while traveling over the years, I could swear I've seen a UFO! When you see something late at night or early morning that you can't explain, you're SURE it's a UFO. :)

Kerri Farley said...

I've never seen a UFO....but I sure do like look at the sky at night.

Great post!!!

madretz said...

I agree with Ginnie that there are those late late nights while driving and you think you see something, but you're not quite sure. Was it actually 'something' or was I just tired? LOL!
-BUT- my husband's cousin, while driving in nevada in the middle of the night, in a remote part of the desert, did see either a meteor or satellite entering the earth's atmosphere, burning and landed within a few hundred feet of his car. He said it was an awesome sight.

Ken said...

Greetings everyone, I live in sparks NV, and I have witnessed some strange lights in the night sky, such as star like lights moving fairly fast then stopping for a few seconds, then they go off in a completely different direction. Its not a strobe or blinking light. I don't smoke in the house so I am outside frequently and I like to watch for shooting stars..ETC..Honestly I am NOT a nut case looking for attention, I am just curious as to what it is that I am seeing. Can satellites possibly move then stop, only to dart off in different directions? Thank You for reading this.

Anonymous said...

Aω, this waѕ an exсeрtionаlly goоd post.
Spеnding some timе anԁ аctual effort to gеnerаte a really goοd artiсle… but what can I say… I put
things оff a ωholе lot and ԁon't manage to get nearly anything done.

Feel free to surf to my web-site; seo jobs lancaster